Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.64830°N / 12.09393°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5361 ft / 1634 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Every summit has its own unmistakeable shape. Some summits have several different shapes when viewed from different directions. Brünnstein is a real shape shifter and shows about 8 different shapes depending upon the viewing direction: a bold peak, a broad ridge, a huge rockface, a rocky meadow slope or a tree overgrown, not very prominent height.

Brünnstein is standing west of lower Inntal valley and the village of Oberaudorf. Tatzelwurm valley is the northern limitation of the ridge, lonely Gießenbach valley is the southern limitation. To the west the ridge stretches on and builds more summits: Brünnsteinschanze, an easy winter ski hike aim, Steilner Joch and Großer Thraiten, two easy but nice summer / autumn hikes.

Brünnstein belongs to the Mangfallgebirge, a part of the Bavarian Alps (sometimes and unluckily enough in SP, too, called “Bavarian Prealps”) and marks its easternmost part.

South of the summit stands Brünnsteinhaus, a huge and frequented alpine club hut which is open nearly the whole year. This nice hut has a great sun terrace and even greater views to the Kaisergebirge, to Großvenediger region and over the Inntal valley.

A steep and in some parts nearly perpendicular rock face rises up behind the hut up to the sharp and long summit ridge of this geologically interesting mountain. On the summit ridge there are a little chapel, a little summit cross and - further on to the west, the highest point of Brünnstein which - funny to say - is seldomly visited despite of the many “summit conquerors” this mountain normally sees on nice and sunny summer and autumn days. This is due to the off-trail character of the summit ridge, the rock scramble you have to do and the fact that most people do not know that the summit cross and the chapel is not the highest point of the summit ridge. So you can be alone on Brünnstein, even on frequented days.

I prefer a clear december or january day for summiting Brünnstein - when the snow conditions are o.k. -or alternatively a nice april weekend. There are only a few people, you have sometimes demanding snow obstacles which give an extra kick to the not very difficult summit routes. Sometimes you have to use crampons and ice axes, especially in december / january. And normally the hut is open and gives you the chance for a good Weißbier before descending to your trailhead.


Getting There

BrünnsteinBrünnstein and Brünnsteinhaus


Brünnstein main trailheads are at Oberaudorf in the Inntal valley, near Kiefersfelden or at Tatzelwurm Hotel.

  • from Munich or Salzburg direction: highway A 8 to Inntaldreieck junction, turn on highway A 93 until exit Oberaudorf

  • from Innsbruck: highway A 12 (toll road) to Kufstein and the austrian / german border, then highway A 93 to exit Oberaudorf



  • At the highway exit take road St 2093 to Oberaudorf.

    For the Oberaudorf trailhead turn left after the railway crossing on road St 2089, drive through the old castle entrance and turn right immediately after the castle, direction Luegsteinsee. At the campground Luegsteinsee there is the parking area for those who want to start right from the beginning.

    Alternatively follow the Mühlauer Straße which passes by Luegsteinsee and some houses, ascends steeply through woods into an upper valley, passes by a dammed lake and arrives at Dörfl which is some farmhouses in this upper valley. Follow Mühlauer Straße straight on until you reach the parking area for Brünnstein. The pavement ends there and the road is closed for public traffic.

    Alternatively follow the narrow road from Oberaudorf to Trißl and go on to the inn of Buchau.

    For the Tatzelwurm trailhead turn right on road St 2089 at Oberaudorf center and follow this road in the direction to Brannenburg. About 2 km after Oberaudorf at the little village of Reisach turn left on Tatzelwurmstraße; there are signposts to Tatzelwurm, Bayrischzell and Sudelfeld. Follow this road until you reach the huge Hotel Tatzelwurm with several parking areas.

    The Gießenbach trailhead is west of the village of Kiefersfelden. Exit the Inntal highway at Kiefersfelden and follow the signposts to Thiersee and Bayrischzell. Park your car about 1 km west of Kiefersfelden at Breitenau.

    BrünnsteinSummit crest of Brünnstein
    BrünnsteinView from the highest point of Brünnstein to the east (Kaisergebirge)



    Normal Routes Overview

    BrünnsteinBrünnstein from Rechenau ascent


    There are several routes to Brünnsteinhaus, which is the only starting point for the two normal summit routes. All routes are easy hiking routes which require no special gear or abilities.

    Main routes to Brünnsteinhaus



  • Oberaudorf / Luegsteinsee - Dörfl - parking area of the upper valley - Rechenau via forest road or via sled road - forest road to Brünnsteinhaus; this is the winter route to Brünnsteinhaus and a sled route, too

  • Oberaudorf / Luegsteinsee - Dörfl - parking area of the upper valley - Rechenau via forest road or via sled road - Brünntal route to Brünnsteinhaus

  • Oberaudorf / Luegsteinsee - Hocheck - Wildgrubsattel - Rechenau - forest road to Brünnsteinhaus

  • Oberaudorf / Luegsteinsee - Hocheck - Wildgrubsattel - Brünntal route to Brünnsteinhaus


  • BrünnsteinBrünnstein with Brünntal
    BrünnsteinBuchau trailhead
    BrünnsteinHiking near Hocheck with Zahmer Kaiser range
    BrünnsteinBrünnstein as seen from Hocheck


  • Oberaudorf / Buchau inn – Wildgrubsattel – Brünntal route or Rechenau route to Brünnsteinhaus

  • Oberaudorf / Buchau inn – Längau Alm – Groß Alm - Brünnsteinhaus


  • Tatzelwurm – Schoißer Alm – Groß Alm – Brünnsteinhaus

  • Tatzelwurm – Schoißer Alm – Seetacher Alm / Brünnsteinschanze – Himmelmoosalm – Brünnsteinhaus


  • Kiefersfelden / Breitenau – Gießenbachtal – Naturfreundehaus – Himmelmoosalm - Brünnsteinhaus



  • BrünnsteinOn the via ferrata - route to Brünnstein summit
    BrünnsteinOn the via ferrata - route to Brünnstein summit
    BrünnsteinOn the via ferrata - route to Brünnstein summit
    BrünnsteinOn the via ferrata - route to Brünnstein summit


    Summit routes



  • South slope trail to Brünnstein summit; in the uppermost part some rock scramble and secured parts with steel ropes

  • Klettersteig” (via ferrata) through the southeast rockfaces, easy, secured with steel ropes and iron staircases; interesting route, you have to crawl through a small crevice and to traverse an exposed ledge



  • BrünnsteinBrünnstein summit panorama



    Red Tape & Geology

    BrünnsteinOberrhätkalk, the coral reef limestone


    There are no special restrictions around Brünnstein trails and routes. The ridge zone west of the main summit is a protected winter rest area for animals. Please do not enter this part of the mountain as long as there is snow.

    Brünnstein is mainly built up of the limestone of an old coral reef, the so called Oberrhätkalk. You will easily find fossilized corals on your way up to the top.

    This reef limestone was fold up and stands now perpendicular as the southern limitation of a local syncline north of the summit. If you choose the northern ascents from Tatzelwurm you traverse this geological syncline with the younger sediments on the northern Brünnstein slopes.

    Accommodations

    BrünnsteinAutumn colours near Rechenau


    Around Brünnstein there are many villages which offer all kinds of accommodation, like hotels, bed & breakfast or campgrounds. The most important villages are:

    Oberaudorf
    Kiefersfelden
    Brannenburg
    Tatzelwurm
    Bayrischzell

    The following mountain huts offer accommodations, too:

    Brünnsteinhaus
    Naturfreundehaus Gießenbachhütte

    Mountain Condition, Gear & Maps

    BrünnsteinViewing Kaisergebirge from Brünnsteinhaus descent to Rechenau


    Gear & Mountain Conditions


    In summer and autumn, normal hiking gear is sufficient.

    In winter crampons and an ice axe may be helpful for the via ferrata route, which often has less snow cover than the south slope route.

    Crampons and gaiters are helpful when you do the ferrata route in spring.

    In spring you might be forced to bypass the uppermost part of the ferrata by using the summit ridge off - trail. This needs an UIAA grade I - II climb for about 40 meters.

    Springtime with still snow in the routes can be fun because there are less people on the summit and the ascent is more demanding.

    Summer and autumn are the normal seasons for a Brünnstein hike.

    If there is not much snow lying in december / january, Brünnstein can be an interesting winter hike which requires caution on the ferrata route due to ice and snow.

    Maps



  • Topographische Karte von Bayern
    1 : 50.000
    Blatt 5053, Mangfallgebirge
    Bayerisches Landesamt für Vermessung und Geoinformation München

  • Alpenvereinskarte
    1 : 25.000
    BY16 Mangfallgebirge Ost
    Deutscher Alpenverein, 2011






  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Bavarian Pre-AlpsMountains & Rocks