Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.65201°N / 11.64302°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5253 ft / 1601 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

SeekarkreuzSeekarkreuz behind Spitzkamp summit as seen from Auerkamp


The Bavarian Alps are hosting many summits which can serve for a half days hike or can be part of a longer traverse. Seekarkreuz, only 1601 m high, is such a mountain.

The 900 m of altitude difference from the Isar valley at the village of Lenggries combined with a short and quick approach from the Munich region makes a late start possible.

A traverse of Geierstein, Fockenstein, Kampen, Seekarkreuz or alternatively of Kampen, Seekarkreuz, Schönberg and Roß- and Buchstein will make a long day.

Seekarkreuz is located between Isar valley to the west and Söllbach valley / Schwarze Tenn to the east. To the south stands slightly higher Schönberg, to the north stretches the long Kampen ridge with its four distinct summits.
Seekarkreuz, sometimes also called Silberkopf, has a nice mountain hut, Lenggrieser Hütte, on its west side and offers hiking and ski tour possibilities all year round.


Getting There

SeekarkreuzSeekarkreuz as seen from the ascent from Lenggrieser Hütte


Main trailheads are:

  • Lenggries in the Isar valley: parking area of Hohenburg at the end of Hohenburgstraße

  • Fleck, a small village south of Lenggries, parking area at the end of Bucherweg

  • Parking area Schwarze Tenn, Kreut / Klamm alongside road number B 307 between Kreut and Achenpass



  • You reach Lenggries and Fleck

    by car

  • on road number B 13 coming from Munich region or

  • on Austrian road number 181 coming from Inntal valley, then B 307 and B 13 after passing the German border.


  • The trailhead / parking area (daily fee) is at the end of Hohenburgstraße. Leave road B 13 at the main exit to Lenggries, turn on Schützenstraße, Bahnhofstraße and Karwendelstarße by just following the main road through Lenggries center. Follow Karwendelstraße until Hohenburgstraße branches off to your left (outside, south of Lenggries.

    The village of Fleck is situated at the B 13 south of Lenggries. Turn on road Höhenreut until you reach the parking area.

    by train

    The “BOB – Bayerische Oberlandbahn” does the service between Munich and Lenggries. See the schedule here

    SeekarkreuzNorth ascent to Seekarkreuz


    You reach Kreut / Klamm

    by car

  • from Munich or Rosenheim / Salzburg by using highway number A 8 to exit “Holzkirchen” and road number B 318 to Rottach on the shores of Tegernsee. Proceed on road number B 307 to Kreut and to the parking area or

  • on Austrian road number 181 coming from Inntal valley, then B 307 to Achenpass and to the parking area.


  • The parking area requires a fee.

    by train

    The “BOB – Bayerische Oberlandbahn” does the service between Munich and Tegernsee. See the schedule here.

    From Tegernsee there is a regular bus service of “RVO – Regionalverkehr Oberbayern”, lines 9550 and 9556 to Kreut and further on. Bus stop “Kreut Klamm”. See the bus schedule here


    Main Routes



    Seekarkreuz hiking routes overview

    SeekarkreuzAscent Lenggries - Seekarkreuz, lower part
    SeekarkreuzWest slope of Seekarkreuz as seen from Lenggrieser Hütte


    Hiking routes



  • From Lenggries / Hohenburg:

  • Trail number 621 to Lenggrieser Hütte and to the summit or

  • Trail number 612 to Hirschbach valley, Lengrieser Hütte and to the summit.


  • From Fleck / Höhenreut:

    Trail numbers 631 and 624 to Mariaeck, Im Marie and to the summit.


  • SeekarkreuzSummit panorama to the east: (from left to right): Kampen, Hirschberg, Risserkogel, Leonardistein, Blauberge, Roß- and Buchstein, Guffert, Schönberg (may 2014)


  • From Kreut / Klamm:

    Forest road to Schwarze Tenn inn (number 604), trail number 606 to Rauhalm and to the summit.

  • Traverse options:

  • From Lenggries / Hohenburg trail number 611 to Geierstein, Fockenstein; trail number 614 to Hirschtalsattel (direct ascent Lenggries - Hirschtalsattel on forest road number 601, omitting Geierstein, Fockenstein); trail number 622 traversing Kampen summits to Seekarkreuz; descent on trail number 621 or 612 to Lenggries.

  • Ascent Kreut / Klamm - Seekarkreuz; trail number 621 to Mariaeck, number 624 to Schönberg and Amperthalalm, again 621 and 633 to Roßsteinalm, summits of Roßstein, Buchstein, Tegernseer Hütte, descent on trail number 609 to Schwarze Tenn, back on number 604 to Kreut / Klamm.




  • SeekarkreuzSummit view to Roß- and Buchstein
    SeekarkreuzSummit view to Kampen ridge


    Ski and Snow Shoe Routes



  • The route Kreut / Klamm, Schwarze Tenn to the summit is a ski route, too.

  • Ski route from Fleck / Höhenreut to Mariaeck, descent to Rauhalm, ascent to the summit.

  • Lenggries / Hohenburg - Hirschbachtal: all forest roads to Lenggrieser Hütte are ski routes; ski route to the summit via west slope.

  • Lenggries / Hohenburg - Hirschbachtal: all forest roads to Lenggrieser Hütte are ski routes; ski route to the summit via west slope.

  • A nice ski tour loop is: Kreut / Klamm - Schwarze Tenn - Rauhalm - Seekarkreuz - Rauhalm - Mariaeck and Schönberg - Amperthalalm - Hochplatte - downhill to Schwarze Tenn - Kreut / Klamm.



  • SeekarkreuzSeekarkreuz summit ridge
    SeekarkreuzSummit view to the south




    Red Tape & Accommodation

    Kampen ridgeLenggrieser Hütte as seen from the summit


    No general Red Tape as far as I know.

    There are winter wildlife protection areas around Zinnerleite, a ridge south of Seekarkreuz near Mariaeck. They should not be entered during ski or snow shoe tours from November through May every year.

    You find all kinds of accommodation at

    Lenggries


    Mountain Huts

    Lenggrieser Hütte
    Schwarzentennalm


    Gear & Mountain Condition

    SeekarkreuzSeekarkreuz in winter(left) with Kampen ridge as seen from Hirschberg ascent (february 2013)


    Seekarkreuz is not a difficult mountain.

    In late spring, summer and autumn Seekarkreuz is an easy hike which requires normal hiking gear.

    In winter and early spring Seekarkreuz is an easy ski tour, also for beginners, or an easy snow shoe hike. Nevertheless you need full ski tour and avalanche gear for winter undertakings.

    Check the Bavarian avalanche bulletin here.

    Current Weather:



    Maps

    SeekarkreuzAlm meadows in the Isar valley near Lengrries trailhead


    Mangfallgebirge, Tegernsee, Schliersee, Rosenheim, Holzkirchen; number UK 50-53, scale 1 : 50.000, with UTM grid; Bayerisches Landesvermessungsamt, München

    Tegernsee, Schliersee, Mangfallgebirge; number WK D6, scale 1 : 50.000, with UTM grid, Freytag & Berndt

    Alpenvereinskarte Mangfallgebirge West, Tegernsee, Hirschberg; number BY13, scale 1 : 25.000, with UTM grid, Deutscher Alpenverein, 2009

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Bavarian Pre-AlpsMountains & Rocks