Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.93566°N / 112.07816°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9018 ft / 2749 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Beehive Peak is a unique sandstone and limestone triangular pyramid in the eastern portion of the Pahvant Mountains in Central Utah. This is by far the most difficult peak to ascend in the mountain range with the easiest route being low 5th class (dangerous 4th class) climbing on the northern side of the peak. 
Beehive at Sunset
Beehive at Sunset

Getting There

Take highway 50 that runs between Scipio and Sevier Valley (towns of Salina, Aurora, Redmond). Approximately 5 miles out of the Sevier Valley, drive along Forest Road 102 into the canyon. Take a left onto FR 422 once you exit the canyon and are about to veer west. You'll pass a nice campsite. The remaining road requires some clearance and possibly 4WD. Drive to the end of the road.

Route

From the end of the road, hike down the trail. There is a trail sign another 200 feet past the metal gateway. Continue downhill about 200 feet before veering right to traverse through the burnt remnants of the forest there. Once around the hillside, you'll see it's a straight shot to the ridgeline to the peak. Once at the base of the white limestone step, turn left to the north side and traverse about 300-400 feet. There is a short 4th class scramble that offers passage onto the top of the white limestone layer. Continue toward the peak but be sure to stay on the left (north side). Again, about 300 feet traversing along the base of the large band of red stone is a 4th class or low 5th class weakness in the rock. Be aware that a rope is needed to get down safely once you get on top of the next layer of rock. This process repeats 3 times to the summit.

Red Tape

The peak is on US Forest Service land. All rules and regulations apply. 

When to Climb

Year-round. Spring and Fall are the best times to go, however. Winter can be sketchy give the nature of the rock which can be weakened when wet.

Camping

There's an amazing camping spot near the start of FR 422. There's also Maple Grove Campground that is not far away.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pahvant MountainsMountains & Rocks