Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.83402°N / 112.26967°W
Additional Information County: Millard
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10088 ft / 3075 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sunset Peak is the southernmost 10,000-foot peak in the Pahvant Mountains. As with most of the peaks in the mountain range, it is easily accessed by the dirt roads and ATV trails. Covered with a mix of spruce and aspen near the summit, it stands in stark contrast to the high desert environment 5,000 feet below. 
Classic Utah Aspen
Classic Utah Aspen

Getting There

From Richfield, Utah, take 300 N west out of town. It turns into Forest Road 096 just past I-70. Drive straight for about 8 miles then turn right onto the continuation of Forest Road 096 (Richfield West Mountain Road). There are good signs that direct you to White Pine Peak. Drive another 6.2 miles to the spine of the mountain range where you will turn South (left) onto Forest Road 500. Take this road for 1.9 miles where you have the option of making a U-turn onto a less-maintained road toward the peak.

Route

You can basically drive to the summit in a high-clearance 4WD vehicle or start your hike from the U-turn off of Forest Road 500. 

Round-trip Distance: 2 miles
Elevation Gain: 435 feet
South Hiking Route
South Hiking Route

Red Tape

None though the peak is in the Fish Lake National Forest.

When to Climb

Possible year-round. You may need snowshoes in winter and a lot more endurance unless you can get your hands on a snowmobile.

Camping

There are several primitive campsites in the network of dirt roads but no developed campgrounds.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pahvant MountainsMountains & Rocks