Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.73858°N / 112.20543°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 8220 ft / 2505 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the most prominent peak to the southwest as viewed from the city of Richfield. Though not as large and imposing as the peaks on the East side of the valley, this old volcanic knob offers some incredible views of all the ranges surrounding Sevier Valley.

Getting There

From the main street in Elsinore, drive west past I-70. Stay on the frontage road as it curves southwest. Drive straight as it turns into a dirt road called Forest Road 105. Stay on this well-maintained dirt road for 5.7 miles, at which point, take a slight right onto Forest Road 706, which is less maintained. Continue on this road for 0.6 miles as it travels northwest. Two stretches of heavily bouldered road make this section impassable except to really high-clearance vehicles. Stop on the edge of the dirt road where comfortable and begin walking.

Route

Walk along Forest Road 706 past the turn off to 950 Rd and a cattle grate. Veer northeast at the watering hole that may be dry in the summer. Follow the cattle trails up the mellow sloped valley leading to the peak. 

Round-Trip Distance: 1.68 miles

Elevation Gain: 453 feet

Red Tape

No permits required. No motorized vehicles are allowed on the dirt road up to the first fork at this time.

When to Climb

Year-round.

Camping

No camping necessary but there are several primitive sites in the area.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pahvant MountainsMountains & Rocks