Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.07035°N / 111.48823°W
Additional Information County: San Pete
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10782 ft / 3286 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Block Mountain is another flat-topped peak in the southern portion of the Wasatch Plateau. It's one of the easier hikes in the range because of the proximity of a dirt road to the summit that offers great views of the entire area.
North from Block Mtn
North from Block Mtn

Getting There

The easiest way to get to the peak is by driving south from the Twelve Mile Flat Campground. Drive on Forest Road 0030 (Skyline Drive) south 4.6 miles then take a left on Block Mountain Road. Some high clearance might be necessary on the last 1/4 mile of the road.

Route

From the end of Block Mountain Road, simply follow one of several game trails east and switchback up the fairly steep slope. It can be a little loose so practice caution. 
Round-trip Distance: 0.25 miles
Elevation Gain: 328 feet

Red Tape

US Forest Service manages this area. No permit is required. You can park near the restrooms in the southern part of the campground without any trouble. Practice "Leave No Trace" ethics. 

When to Climb

Year-round though a snowmobile, skis, and/or snowshoes would be extremely helpful in winter.

Camping

Twelve Mile Flat Campground, the start of the hike, or one of several in the canyon toward Mayfield are great places to camp.