Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.37387°N / 111.4044°W
Additional Information County: San Pete
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11078 ft / 3377 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Composing the east rim of the Big Horseshoe, East San Pete Peak rises abruptly from the cirque below. However, the south side of the peak is very gently sloping and offers an easy walk to the summit from Skyline Drive. The views are gorgeous looking into the Horseshoe and across to the Tent Peaks.

Getting There

From Ephraim: Take Ephraim Canyon Road 15 miles from town and turn slight left (North) onto Skyline Drive. Drive along Skyline Drive for 5.7 miles until there is a patch of several pine trees on the right side (East) of the road at the bottom of the southwest slope. The old ATV trail is usually discernible at this point.

Route

From Skyline drive, walk in a straight line toward the summit to the northeast. This is one of the easiest hikes you'll do. 

Round-trip Distance: 0.43 miles
Elevation Gain: 132 feet

Red Tape

The area is managed but US Forest Service. No permits or reservations required. Please use Leave No Trace ethics.

When to Climb

Year-round is possible but the winter ascents require use of a snowmobile to get to the area.

Camping

There are several primitive camping sites in the immediate vicinity. Otherwise, you'll have to refer to the camping section on the Wasatch Plateau page for more information.