Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.26282°N / 111.46706°W
Additional Information County: San Pete
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10255 ft / 3126 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Elk Knoll is a stately appearing high point on the western side of the Central Wasatch Plateau. It's elevation is equivalent to that of Skyline Drive in the area, but due to a high valley with lakes, it actually has a prominence of over 250 feet.

Getting There

Take State Road 31 (Ephraim Canyon Road) east from Ephraim 8-9 miles and turn right (south) on Skyline Drive and drive 5 miles until Snow Lake appears on the left (east) side. Continue another 300 feet and turn left onto a rough dirt road into the valley below. It's about a mile to the grated road crossing through a fence, which is the easiest place to start hiking.

Route

From the gate in the road, head straight uphill to the west. It can be steep in sections so use caution, especially on the bare slopes. Once past the steep section, it's a straightforward mellow walk to the summit. 

Round-trip Distance: 0.65 miles
Elevation Gain: 265 feet

Red Tape

US Forest Service manages this area. No permit is required. You can park near the restrooms in the southern part of the campground without any trouble. Practice "Leave No Trace" ethics.

When to Climb

Year-round though a snowmobile, skis, and/or snowshoes would be extremely helpful in winter.

Camping

Lake Hill Campground is halfway between Skyline Drive and Ephraim. 2 group sites.
Manti Community Campground - halfway up Manti Canyon. Max 30 people, 6 vehicles. 
There are other undeveloped pullouts in the area.
Loggers Fork Reservoir immediately to the northeast could serve as a primitive campsite.