Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.23217°N / 111.45063°W
Additional Information County: San Pete
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10529 ft / 3209 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lake Mountain is one of the 10,000 peaks along the backbone of the Wasatch Plateau. It likely derives its name from it proximity to Snow Lake to the northwest from the peak. Though it rises only a couple hundred feet above Skyline Drive, it stands over 1,500 feet above Cove Creek to the east.

Getting There

Take State Road 31 (Ephraim Canyon Road) east from Ephraim 8-9 miles and turn right (south) on Skyline Drive and drive 5 miles until Snow Lake appears on the left (east) side. There is an OHV trail down to the lake from Skyline Drive. Park along this trail 100 feet from Skyline Drive. The faint trail contours along the slope stretching directly south.

Route

Follow the faint trail south along the edge of the flat as it contours past the rise on the right. Stay on the trail to past a pond on the west slope of the peak. Follow the OHV trail up the hill and veer right to catch a game trail to another OHV trail that goes all the way to the summit.

Round-trip Distance: 1.14 miles
Elevation Change: 528 feet

Red Tape

US Forest Service manages this area. No permit is required. You can park near the restrooms in the southern part of the campground without any trouble. Practice "Leave No Trace" ethics. 

When to Climb

Year-round though a snowmobile, skis, and/or snowshoes would be extremely helpful in winter.

Camping

Lake Hill Campground is halfway between Skyline Drive and Ephraim. 2 group sites.
Manti Community Campground - halfway up Manti Canyon. Max 30 people, 6 vehicles. 
There are other undeveloped pullouts in the area.