Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.12496°N / 111.50945°W
Additional Information County: San Pete
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10918 ft / 3328 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Baldy is one of a cluster of high peaks in the southern portion of the Wastach Plateau. It rises prominently above the canyon that travels east from Mayfield, Utah. On it's eastern side is the popular Twelve Mile Flat Campground. There is no maintained trail to the summit but the terrain is negotiable for the fleet of foot. 

Getting There

From Mayfield: Drive east from Mayfield on East Canyon Road that turns into Forest Road 0022. Take a slight right after 5miles onto Forest Road 0023. Drive for 0.6 miles and turn right onto FR 0290 or continue straight onto FR 0022. This is a well-maintained dirt road that veers northeast to Skyline Drive at Twelve Mile Flat Campground.

Summit Meadow
Summit Meadow

Route

From the southside of the campground near the restrooms, you can follow the fence west. A faint trail between the log fence and the barbed-wire fence is easy to follow. At your discretion, veer right (northwest) to meander up the northeast slope of the foothill east of the mountain. There are many faint game and cattle trails through here. The east slop of the peak is steep, loose, and dangerous so once in the saddle between the foothill and Mount Baldy, walk southwest a good 400 feet and take the more gentle slope in a southwesterly direction. Skirt the southern slope of the mountain and turn northwest to enter the beautiful high meadow that's usually full of flowers. Meander north for 1000 feet before turning northwest. The subalpine environment makes for fairly easy navigation. Walk to the summit that is at the far northwestern rim of the mountain.

Round-trip Distance: 1.7 miles
Elevation Gain: 687 feet

Red Tape

US Forest Service manages this area. No permit is required. You can park near the restrooms in the southern part of the campground without any trouble. Practice "Leave No Trace" ethics. 

When to Climb

Year-round though a snowmobile, skis, and/or snowshoes would be extremely helpful in winter.

Camping

Twelve Mile Flat Campground or one of several in the canyon toward Mayfield are great places to camp.