Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.15249°N / 111.48697°W
Additional Information County: San Pete
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10897 ft / 3321 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak is actually the highest point along the Skyline Drive that bisects the Wasatch Plateau, which means this can be climbed in a vehicle when conditions are right. It is the northernmost peak in the mountain cluster at the southern portion of the Wasatch Plateau.
Summit of High Top
Summit of High Top

Getting There

From Mayfield, drive east on East Canyon Road that turns into Forest Road 0022. Take a slight right after 5 miles onto Forest Road 0023. Drive for 0.6 miles and turn right onto FR 0290 or continue straight onto FR 0022. This is a well-maintained dirt road that veers northeast to Skyline Drive at Twelve Mile Flat Campground. You can start the hike anywhere along Skyline Drive as the road actually goes to the summit.

Route

You can drive all the way to the summit during the summer. However, during the fall and spring, much of the road can be impassable due to snow. Skyline Drive from the south is still the easiest route at Class 2, but the shortcut up the 3rd class ridge can cut off close to a mile. The measurements below were taken from Twelve Mile Flat.

Round-trip Distance: 6 miles
Elevation Gain: 730 feet
Summit Flat
Summit Flat

Red Tape

US Forest Service manages this area. No permit is required. You can park near the restrooms in the southern part of the campground without any trouble. Practice "Leave No Trace" ethics. 

When to Climb

Year-round though a snowmobile, skis, and/or snowshoes would be extremely helpful in winter.
Southwest Profile
Southwest Profile

Camping

Twelve Mile Flat Campground, the start of the hike, or one of several in the canyon toward Mayfield are great places to camp.