Cedar Mountain (Wasatch Plateau)

Cedar Mountain (Wasatch Plateau)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.98773°N / 111.71492°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7776 ft / 2370 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The major fault line along the Eastern side of Sevier Valley creates a series of mountain ridges that increase in elevation as you travel east from Redmond and Salina, Utah. The first of these forested mountains is Cedar Mountain. 

Getting There

From Salina, Utah, take US-89 3.5 miles and turn left onto 3500 Redmond Switch Road toward Willow Creek. Continue for 2.4 miles then take a soft right onto Willow Creek Road. After 2.2 miles take a hard right onto Cedar Mountain Road (FR002), which travels in a near-southerly direction from the intersection. Drive this dirt road to a clearing at about 4 miles from the lake at the intersection.

Route

Once at the clearing, follow the ATV trail tracks on the northeast side of the road. This is FR1330. In about 1/3 of a mile, the FR1330 veers left and downhill. Continue straight onto Forest ATV 674, which begins to climb uphill. After a couple broad switchbacks, take a hard left at the false summit. From here, you can see the Cedar Mountain summit across a saddle to the north. The descent is retracing the steps on the ascent.

Round-trip: 2.76 miles

Elevation gain: 445 feet

Red Tape

The peak is on land managed by the US Forest Service.

When to Climb

Any time of year.

Camping

There’s a ton of camping sites along Willow Creek Road and throughout the area if you hope to sleep outside. Otherwise, the small town hotels are not far away.

External Links

http://www.salinacity.org/

http://www.sevierutah.net/